So at today's
presentation I was confronted with a few problems form the lecturers,
the main one being the amount of work I need to produce and the
approach to producing that amount. 80 minutes is a lot to produce, the
lecturers seemed shocked at the idea of just fifteen!
To be honest,I think I
can do it. Large goals have always helped me focus and stay true to
what I have set out to do, and I'm tired of half finished pieces;
unintelligible fractions of work that really mean nothing without me
standing there and explaining it to the viewer.I want this to stand on
it's own, I want something I can be proud of creating for once. I can
always pare it down to a single fifteen minute chapter, but that
really is the lowest I mean to go.
I want to prove that I
can produce finished work, that I can start a project and see it
through to its end. In my creative writing I have found that the most
satisfying feeling did not come from what people thought of it, or
what it said as a whole – it came from staring at a complete,
finished piece. That's what I am setting out to create here. After
writing three books and receiving some middling feedback on them I
chose to remove them for extensive reworking and rewriting –
because I wanted to. The problems within them could not be seen in
their individual parts, they could only be seen as a whole. Probably
only by me as they had only been read by three or four people, but I
digress.
I will take this onboard, as the important thing to understand is not to cheapen what I am doing by demanding quantity over quality. Experimentation is still important, as this is for my portfolio.
Back to my presentation
Another aspect that was
really helpful was in whittling down my question, the idea of
transformative media – so here goes!
*Clears throat*
How can a writer deal
with the challenges faced when translating an existing work to a new
medium?
This encompasses the
ideas I have had, on the way that movie translations and motion
comics try t replicate the flaws of comic rather than building upon
the reasons that forced them in the first place.
Keep working!
No comments:
Post a Comment