This little gif from my
presentation shows an attempt to fix the rhythm and timing problem in
motion comics from Marvel.
We see the animation
pause, like Zack Snyder's speed up slow down – although I feel this
is used to create a false attraction to comic readers by replicating
the same enforced timing of the comic frames. I wish to address that,
although the argument in favour of Zack Snyder's work could be that
he is playing to his audience – and that is nothing to be ashamed
of. He knows that his audience is primarily comic readers and that
they expect a certain 'comic' sensibility to the affair. My problems
stem with using this to – I feel – cheapen the graphic novel
medium further. Motion comics could represent a culmination of
narrative and visuals enhanced by sound, and I don't think that
emulating the problems with the old media are helping the argument at
all.
This all ties into my
annoyance at the constant linking of comics or graphic novels with
superheroes and the childish nature they maintain – where 'mature'
means blood, guts and female objectification. I don't think they have
to mean that at all, I think the story defines what is mature – not
the amount of gore spilled.
Lovecraft fits the
ideal I am aiming for, as a mature story – but not a 'mature' comic
(If I was speaking I would be doing air quotes) there is no need for
gore and no need for objectification, and it could prove the motion
comic as more than a delivery vehicle for well established tropes
that already exist.

No comments:
Post a Comment